POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Allowable Renderers : Re: Allowable Renderers Server Time
20 Jun 2024 10:57:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allowable Renderers
From: Jerry
Date: 25 Jul 2000 11:41:58
Message: <jerry-7E0E52.08415825072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397daf95@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandluf9couk> wrote:
>: What you couldn't do is claim that the whole picture is
>: raytraced/algorithmised/whatever.
>
>  So if I paint an image map to use it on an object in my raytraced scene,
>it's not a valid entry because the whole picture is not algorithmically
>calculated?

???

(a) the quote you're replying to doesn't imply that. It only implies
that if you paint an image map to use on an object, you cannot claim
otherwise. (I hope this isn't controversial.)

(b) The post you're replying to covered this in a different paragraph:

"It would seem to me that you could submit this to the IRTC provided
that the "source" included the picture from stage one. This would be the
equivalent of an image map being the bulk of a raytrace, and with
correspondingly low scores."

So, yes, of course you can use image maps. The more your scene is an
image map, however, the more low scores you can expect to receive.

Jerry